Some worthy link that I found that combines Pomodoro and GTD and adapts it to programmers job.
Easily distracted? Prone to flights of fancy? Too many ideas flowing into your brain all at once? Cannot complete a huge task? Sick just doing small unimportant task? Does this ring a bell? If so, you might need to apply the Pomodoro Technique!
The technique is deceptively simple and easy to begin with. Here’s how:
- Make a list of the things you need to finish
- Set your timer to 25 minutes and do one thing only. Until the timer rings!
- Take a 5 minutes break.
- After 4 of these 25 minute session, take a break for 15 minutes.
Its easy but needs discipline and hard to do. It will help you multi-task, improve your focus, and boost your productivity due to its time-boundedness.
If you’re like me, vain in changing the Windows command console (cmd.exe) and if you like the functionality and look and feel of mintty (cygwin), here’s how to change the look and feel of cmd.exe:
- Install Cygwin with Shells -> Mintty included.
- start <cygwin directory>/bin/mintty %COMSPEC%
Start is a windows command for spawning new applications.
<cygwin directory>/bin/mintty is the application you want to start.
%COMSPEC% is the parameter for mintty. Windows will substitue this to cmd.exe. Well you can call it directly using “start <cygwin directory>/bin/mintty cmd.exe”
Hope this helps