– Downgrade to IntelliJ 5 or 6. 5 being the fastest but memory consuming, and 6 being the most stable and the UI interface is almost the same with 8.1.4. I haven’t tested 4.5 and will not dwell into those early versions.
– If you are using 7 above, you might want to upgrade your hard disk to SSD (solid state devices) for their being 0ms read time at 120gb/s write time. This is some solution that you will feed productive again.
Other suggestions from the net that I found:
– use ext3 linux file system in windows using fs-driver (http://www.fs-driver.org) and point your cache in there.
– put a -server, although this I think does not have a significant effect as I’ve tested it.
– max out your memory, -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
– turn off anti-virus
– turn off local history in IntelliJ
– minimal graphic visual effect by opting to performance increase
– turn off system restore